It wouldn’t be a food blog without a token hipster salad. Deal with it.
Also, it’s hot AF and you aren’t exactly going to eat a curry now, are you?
This salad is everything that’s great about summer in Sydney: colours, freshness and lightness.
Eat it solo, or with grilled chicken, or prawns, or baked tofu.
Grilled prawns get my vote.
First things first: whack this on . . .
- 2 cups mixed sprouts
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 blood orange, chopped into small wedges
- 1/2-1 small avocado, cut into chunks
- 1 punnet red cherry tomatoes
- 1 punnet yellow cherry tomatoes
- Handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Sunflower and sesame seeds to sprinkle (optional)
For the dressing
- 1 garlic clove or 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1/3 cup lemon or lime juice
Firstly, toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan until they’re smell all yummy. This will only take a few minutes. Remove from the heat and grind with a mortal and pestle or in your food processor.
Chuck all the salad ingredients in a bowl and gently toss.
Now blend all the dressing ingredients together until creamy and smooth-ish. Add a pinch or two of the cumin seeds, too.
Sprinkle the sunflower/sesame seeds over the salad (if using), along with enough ground cumin to taste.
Serve the salad with the dressing on the side or pour it over and gently toss through.